Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Save Us Microsoft!

During E3 last week, Microsoft announced that this fall an overhaul to the 360 Dashboard is going to be released. After Microsoft announced some games would be dropped from Xbox Live Arcade is they didn't sell well and did poorly critically, I wrote that it was a bad move and didn't solve the fundamental problem of the poor user interface that hampered Xbox Live. So, it's good to see a change is coming, even if it is years late.

They call them channels... they look like blades. They don't really show too much how to find games, which was the biggest part of the usability failure of the current interface. On the surface, and it's hard (and dangerous) to judge things without using them, it just looks like a nicer interface, but not necessarily a more usable interface.

I really hope this isn't the case. Features like avatars and Netflix are cool, but when it's hard to get to things and use them, it doesn't make me want to go use my console. It makes me want to play other games instead. So, here's hoping to a fundamental fixing of the issues of sorting through thousands of items in Xbox Live. I know they claim you will be able to, but I'm a pessimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment