Thursday, May 8, 2008

Have You Ever Played Something Moving and Confusing?

Thanks to Gamers With Jobs, I just found a little flash game called Polcarstva. It's about 5-10 minutes long and can best be described as a short, strange trip. The music is absolutely beautiful and the gameplay itself is interesting, with somewhat obtuse puzzles using a point and click interface.

I do not know how to describe the experience of playing the game, nor do I think I understand what the game is trying to say with it's puzzles. However, something about it is very special and makes me think of art when I play it. Play it now, and let me know what you think in the comments. Are these types of games interesting to you? Or are arty games like this only for pretentious snobs with blogs, like myself?

7 comments:

  1. Its an absolutely beautiful game surreal, pleasant, thoughtful, whimsical and the music is fantastic. Flash is a great platform for games like this, I dont know what it is about browser based games like this but they feel different.
    We need more games like this around :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't particularly care for games like this personally. I find myself randomly clicking places just to solve a puzzle that makes no sense to me at all. Just doesn't do it for me.

    It would be nice to see these types of games explain a little of what is going on. This is why I think I don't like them so much, lack of information. Maybe perhaps introducing the setting, the characters, or just telling me why I am trying to get the group of students on the bus and why should I care as a player to get them to where they need to go?.

    My thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of games like this, particularly the Samarost series. (I believe that's how it's spelled.) There's also the Grow games, and the entire genre of "get out of the room" games from Japan.

    The art direction is stunning here, but as with most of these things, there isn't really much "game" here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty graphics with obscure hotspots. I couldn't find the clicky at least once so I relied on same the ol' Flash cheat you could use to find the Easter Eggs in Strongbad emails: Tap the tab key to step between hotspots.

    I salute their artistic ability to manufacture pretty non-sequitor flash animation, but there wasn't really any sustenance here. "You Have To Burn The Rope" made a statement. A snarky statement, but one nonetheless. This current thing made me think that someone imaginative in Poland is bored and struggling to express themself. Sadly, I don't think I'll remember or pass this one on to anyone else

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge League Tennis has implemented three distinctive playoff formats as the inception belonging to the World Chain in 1901. Then again, most argue with the formats which used. www.scorespro.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These durable rubber lawn mats with regard to car recreational areas is an absolute must have, not just for areas such as home but in addition for plazas as well as office areas too. MATS FOR CAR PARKS

    ReplyDelete