Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Beginning of a Rampage

"On the Rampage, Pip, and off the Rampage, Pip -- such is Life!”
- Joe Gargery, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

So begins my own personal rampage on the world of game design. This is a blog I've been contemplating for some time. Wanting to write, due to my personal vocal opinions and general interest in the evolving craft of game design. Not wanting to write, due to fear of time commitment and my own perceived lack of experience in the gaming industry. However, giants such as N'Gai Croal, Stephen Totilo, Brenda Braithwaite, Bill Harris, and Raph Koster have pushed me to start this blog up. Not directly, mind you, but rather with their continual insightful and intelligent discussion of gaming, which has often spurred a flurry of action within my own peanut of a brain.

So, what is the goal of this blog? First, is to provoke thoughtful discussion on theories of game design as well as commentary and critique on current games and gaming news. Second, is to regularly maintain and update this blog. As of right now, I am committing myself to updating a minimum once a week. I do not wish for this blog to become like so many others, unattended to by apathetic parents. The third, and final goal, is to challenge the current state of the gaming industry. To sit back idly and watch our medium make the same mistakes over and over would be imprudent. I hope to shed light on what I perceive to be the failings of games and the gaming industry, and propose solutions. Whether or not these solutions would or could solve the problem, I will leave you to decide.

So it begins. I invite you to join me both on the rampage and off the rampage. Either way, it should be an alluring journey. Such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment